FASHION, COLOUR, TRENDS & HOME
History of Fashion Retail
In many developed economies, retail is a major employer and large contributor of GDP. The aim of this course is to give learners an understanding of how retail has developed and grown over the past two hundred years, giving them a context in which to view retail today. From the onset of the industrial revolution, we trace how shopping became a leisure activitity in its own right and how it has transitioned over time to meet the changing needs of the consumer.
What you will learn
- How department stores developed from smallgoods stores to multi-billion dollar global fashion emporiums
- How shopping malls changed our shopping habits and what is the future of tomorrows shopping malls
- How innovation led to success of major fashion retailers
- How a technological revolution impacted the retail market
Modules in more detail
19th Century and the Rise of the Department Store – the birth and growth of department stores from the 19th century to present day
20th Century and the Rise of the Shopping Mall – how shopping patterns changed during the 20th century and the birth of fashion chains stores
21st Century and the Rise of E-commerce – how technology revolutionised the way we shop and gave rise to newer more agile fashion retailers
Who is this course for
This course would benefit those working in stores or a support office role in buying, merchandise planning, marketing, product development, retail operations or supply chain.
It is of particular use to junior members of the merchandise department, e.g. assistant/trainee buyers or assistant/trainee merchandise planners.
$79.00 excl GST
Unsure if a course is right for you...
If you are uncertain whether a course is at the right level for you, then take an assessment through the Numensa Assessment Centre. We have six different assessments, three for buying and three for planning.
- Entry – for anyone new to retail or working in a buyer’s admin or allocator level
- Intermediate – for anyone working at the assistant/junior buyer/planner level
- Advanced – for anyone working at a buyer/planner or senior buyer/planner level
You may also like…
This short course covers the democratisation of fashion both in bricks & morter stores and online. We look at the size and breakdown of this very important market.
$125.00 excl GST
The Luxury Market
This short course covers the size and breakdown of the luxury market, detailing the main corporate groups and the brands that they own.
$125.00 excl GST
More Buying & Planning Courses
More Soft Skills Courses